4specs.com    4specs.com Home Page

Stainless Steel Wall Base in Division... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

4specs Discussion Forum » Specifications Discussions » Stainless Steel Wall Base in Division 09? « Previous Next »

Author Message
Alex Sperfeld (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2022 - 04:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

If your designer wants to use a prefabricated (off the shelf) stainless steel wall base, should it reside in Div 05 where the guy installing wall base will never find it, or should it be in Div 09 with the resilient wall bases? There really isn't a section in Division 09 where one could combine all different types of wall bases in one location.
I'll be curious to hear how other folks have dealt with this.
Ronald J. Ray, RA, CCS, CCCA, CSI, SCIP
Senior Member
Username: rjray

Post Number: 215
Registered: 04-2004
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2022 - 09:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post


I have a current project where a Pittcon stainless steel wall base is required.

I would not specify it in the same Section as resilient base or wood base.

Even though I dislike the subjective title of "Decorative Metal," I may end up specifying it in that section (057000) or a narrow-scope number and title under 057000.
Jeffrey Wilson CSI CCS SCIP
Senior Member
Username: wilsonconsulting

Post Number: 346
Registered: 03-2006

Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2022 - 06:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I have used 096515 "Manufactured Base and Accessories" when faced w/ this problem. It doesn't exactly follow MasterFormat, but it's easily understood by readers. This could be separate from the resilient base spec, or all products can be in this single section.
Jeffrey Wilson CCS CSI SCIP
Wilson Consulting Inc
Narberth PA
Lisa Goodwin Robbins, RA, CCS, LEED ap
Senior Member
Username: lgoodrob

Post Number: 412
Registered: 08-2004
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2022 - 08:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

We were just talking about this in an office meeting. It could be in lots of places. Previous answers seem reasonable. Here are some more thoughts (which may or may not be helpful):

For an eleventh hour add, I usually stuff it into 055000 Metal Fabrications, a convenient catch all.
For projects with a food service consultant, sometimes they have already specified it in 114000 Food Service Equipment, but the architect didn't look there.
For retail projects with metal base on the millwork, sometimes I put it into 064023 Interior Architectural Woodwork.
For projects with stainless steel wall panels and base, perhaps 102600 Wall Protection would be best.

Some things just don't have an all purpose logical home. Don't get me started on where to spec the mash-up products.
Loretta Sheridan
Senior Member
Username: leshrdn

Post Number: 61
Registered: 11-2021
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2022 - 09:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Like Ronald Ray above, I would specify it in Decorative Metal, but I would reference the heck out of it. I'd add it as a related section in that article in other sections that are remotely related that might be in the project, such as Wall and Door Protection, Resilient Base and Accessories, Carpet Tile...

Though I do like Jeffrey Wilson's solution.

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration