4specs.com    4specs.com Home Page

Facebook Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

4specs Discussion Forum » Archive Coffee Pot and Water Cooler » Facebook « Previous Next »

Lynn Javoroski FCSI CCS LEEDŽ AP SCIP Affiliate
Username: lynn_javoroski

Post Number: 1727

Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Why do manufacturers want us to "like" them on Facebook? My company bans such sites from the workplace, and with understandable reasons. We're all capable of wasting enough time if we put our minds to it without being able to go to Facebook!

Furthermore, my Facebook page is for family and very close friends; I share many things with all of them. I don't want to share it with anything connected to my work! (although some of those very close friends started out as work colleagues) And I certainly don't want to "like" a specific company; that's not what "like" means to me.

The ultimate faux pas is when a company presents important technical information on a "YouTube" video (also blocked at work) or on Facebook. It's fine to embrace new technology and social media, but know your audience.

OK, climbing down from the soapbox now; thanks for reading.
Nathan Woods, CSI, CCCA, LEED AP
Username: nwoods

Post Number: 549

Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Totally agree with you about the Facebook thing. Companies should have websites with info that is not behind a password protected domain such as Facebook.

However, I disagree with you about Youtube, for a similar reason. It's not password protected, and easily accessible. They can (and should) embed the YouTube video on their own corporate site, but having in on YouTube if totally fine. Your company is out of date on blocking that. There is TONS of great info on YouTube. I'll go a step further...my teenage son never uses Google. If he needs to find something, he goes to YouTube for it... and ALWAYS finds what he's looking for! It's a new paradigm. You're company needs to catch up.

Fun Fact: There are 12 hours of video uploaded to YouTube ever minute. Think about that!
Alan Mays, AIA
Username: amays

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

The Facebook thing has been going on with all businesses for quite some time. Our company has a Facebook page. It is a marketing effort to get out through social media. Think of it as a company blog in social media. Hey if you don't like them then don't like them. I too, tend to only friend personal friends on Facebook. I do not friend my own company.

I do agree that your company does need to catch up. Blocking web sites is doing nothing but blocking potential clients. The question is what is the understandable reasons for blocking Facebook or other social media?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration