4specs.com    4specs.com Home Page

Extruded "Brick" CMU Units? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

4specs Discussion Forum » Archive - Product Discussions #2 » Extruded "Brick" CMU Units? « Previous Next »

Author Message
Mitch Miller,AIA ,CSI,CCS
Senior Member
Username: m2architek

Post Number: 61
Registered: 02-2004
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 04:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Does anyone have experience with single wythe extruded "brick" units in CMU shapes? 8x8x16 I have a concern over the terminology and performance of this product in the Middle Atlantic States
William Wagner
Senior Member
Username: bill_black

Post Number: 8
Registered: 07-2005
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Are you talking about "thru-wall" brick?
Robin Dale Rund
Advanced Member
Username: rdrund

Post Number: 5
Registered: 06-2005
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 05:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I believe you may be talking about "hollow brick." BIA has a good paper on the subject at http://www.bia.org/BIA/technotes/t41.htm

I first saw hollow brick in a form called "silo tile" in the 70's, when it enjoyed some short-lived popularity. It was a beautiful product, but water intrusion into the cavity and through the wall was a problem. The BIA article does a good job discussing the issue.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration