4specs.com    4specs.com Home Page

Cape Charles, Virginia advice Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

4specs Discussion Forum » Archive - Specifications Discussions » Cape Charles, Virginia advice « Previous Next »

Author Message
Jerome J. Lazar, RA, CCS, CSI, SCIP
Senior Member
Username: lazarcitec

Post Number: 49
Registered: 05-2003
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

We are doing our first spec project in Cape Charles - a 3 story Resort & Spa and Cottages at a development called Bay Creek. Resort & Spa is cedar shingles over CMU and the cottages are cedar over wood frame. Being a Florida arch/specwriter we are excited about working on such a cool project, however apprehensive since we have never done work in VA. Also the Cape Charles CBO has advised that specs are required to be submitted as part of the permit set. Any regulars from VA have any advice? Also anyone have experience with 'House Slicker over CMU' construction? Thanks for insight.
William C. Pegues, FCSI, CCS
Senior Member
Username: wpegues

Post Number: 312
Registered: 10-2002
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Hi Jerome,

We do a lot of work in Virginia, though typically not the kind of residential that you are doing (typically high rise residential).

Different jurisdictions in Virginia have different requirements for their permit submittal. Some require a project manual at permit, some do not.

What we do for all our projects is that we have a 'draft' spec that goes out for review, and to be able to get meaningful comments back, we typically tie this to the permit date whether the project requires it as part of the permit submittal or not. This book is printed with "DRAFT" in lieu of the date in the header. I also print it on Pink paper to assure that it is not mistaken for an issued document. Finally, the first page inside the cover (of each volume if it is more than one vol.) is a letter head letter signed by me that states that this book is a review copy only, and that changes will be made and will not be documented, and a few other comments of that sort.

We have never had a problem with the counties that require the permit project manual accepting this. We have a few jurisdictions in Maryland that require this as well, we do the same thing there.


One of the things that you might also check, and people are not finding out about this kind of thing in some jurisdictions until it is late, and owner don't really know how to communicate it, there is a movement among many of the jurisdictions in Virginia to require LEED type requirements for projects. I say LEED type because it is evolving. First it started with a requirement to the owner that they sign a voluntary agreement that they will attempt to be close to LEED. Then recently it evolved that though it does not get submitted to LEED, the architect had to certifiy as a requirmenet for certificate of occupancy that project complied with a minimum LEED level of points. This was all internal to the county and did not involve LEED, but for practical purposes this may as well have all the LEED documents in it collected by the Architect so that he would have something that he can show as evidence of signing his life away.

Now we have another project that has come up and it has a slightly different twist. Again, it is not requiring a formal submittal to LEED for their certifcation, but the county is requiring the owner to retain a LEED consultant who specifically can't be the architect, and that consultant signs their certification.

We have seen this evolution over the past 2 years. I don't know about low rise residential, or the kind of project you have there, ours have been commercial as well as high rise residential. Every time we go start up a design project in Virginia, the ground rules seem to have changed from the last time.


No advice on the wall type, not our typical configuration.

Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 07:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

You won't need the Homeslicker at the CMU back up walls. You will need dampproofing over the CMU (assuming new construction) and furring - recommend veritical (first) and horizontal furring. Air space with this method of installation will allow plenty of breathability.

Benj. Obdyke does not indicate homeslicker for use with cedar shingles for exterior wood framed (wood sheathing assumed) walls. Not sure how one would use it for this condition. Shingles can be applied directly over building paper, use furring if you want an airspace for more breathability.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration