4specs.com    4specs.com Home Page

British Standards Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

4specs Discussion Forum » Archive - Specifications Discussions » British Standards « Previous Next »

Author Message
Tomas Mejia
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I have a client who is going to do a project in London, U.K. Anyone have any information on:

Is there a U.K. Specification Institute (similar to CSI) that has an established specification format?

Does the U.K. have a specification standard or is there an international specification format that is used there?

Is it feasable to incorporate British Standards into CSI format specifications?

Any comments, tips, advise on doing a project in London?

Dave Metzger
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 01:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post


At our SCIP meeting in Dallas there was a specifier from England. Mark Kalin should have his name and perhaps contact information.
Tomas Mejia
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 02:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post


Thanks. Gerard mentioned that also. I talked to Mark and Lars and they directed me to Nick Schumann the specifier from England.
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 03:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

they have diferent format. very simple. the specifiers there are called 'quantity surveyors.
David Rosemont
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 01:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Wrong- architects write the specifications, while quantity surveyors prepare bills of quantity

We are architects in london and can provide UK assistance for American or other nationals interested in UK projects
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 05:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post


You may wish to check with Bob Johnson at RTKL since his firm has a London office and yes there is a UK standard. They use "Uniclass" work sections tables which is published by RIBA. The OCCS Development Committee looked at this publication as an example in the development of "Omniclass" the North American Classification strategy for the built environment. The UK format has a classification table for building projects and one for civil projects.

Bob has far more information on this subject than I do and should be able to provide you with the best information.
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 01:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

i would like to know what is the difference using net and gross area in testing maonry units and when do you gonna use net area or gross area in testing masonry units

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration