4specs.com    4specs.com Home Page

Loft netting? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

4specs Discussion Forum » MasterFormat 2004 Discussions » Loft netting? « Previous Next »

Author Message
David G. Axt, CDT, CCS, CSI, SCIP
Senior Member
Username: david_axt

Post Number: 1982
Registered: 03-2002

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2022 - 05:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Where do I specify permanent netting as part of an indoor play structure for children?

This is the product: https://www.loftnets.com/en/
David G. Axt, CDT, CCS, CSI, SCIP
Specifications Consultant
Axt Consulting LLC
Ronald L. Geren, FCSI Lifetime Member, AIA, CCS, CCCA, CSC, SCIP
Senior Member
Username: specman

Post Number: 1619
Registered: 03-2003

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2022 - 06:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I specified something similar for an outdoor application at a resort. I use a custom number and title in site furnishings: 32 33 43.16 "Architectural Net Seating."

I would suggest using a Division 12 number, maybe something like 12 52 75 "Net Seating."
Ron Geren, FCSI Lifetime Member, AIA, CCS, CCCA, CSC, SCIP
Phil Kabza
Senior Member
Username: phil_kabza

Post Number: 744
Registered: 12-2002

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2022 - 03:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Is the play structure a single manufacturer item? If so, I would consider specifying the netting as an accessory to the play structure and supplied or approved by them in order to get their product liability insurance in line. Yes I'm getting more like Chicken Little as I age.
SpecGuy Specifications Consultants
Ronald J. Ray, RA, CCS, CCCA, CSI, SCIP
Senior Member
Username: rjray

Post Number: 216
Registered: 04-2004
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2022 - 05:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Unless the netting is actually going to be used for seating, I don't really see it as a furnishing, so I would look elsewhere than Division 12.

Division 10 has a broad-scope Section 104000 - Safety Specialties, so any unused number like 1046??, 1047??, 1048?? Or 1049?? Might seem a bit reasonable.

Division 11 includes 116600 - Athletic Equipment and 116700 - Recreational Equipment. I could see creating a new section number and title in either location.

An accessory to the play structure, as Phil suggest, seems quite reasonable to me, although it does not appear that the two products will be from the same manufacturer, if that matters to you in putting them in the same Section.

With all that said, who would have guessed that, hiding away in seldom used Division 13, is Section 132816 - Safety Netting?
ken hercenberg
Senior Member
Username: khercenberg

Post Number: 1546
Registered: 12-2006

Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2022 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Hi David.
As an aside on the https://www.loftnets.com/en/guides/home-nets page and on the https://www.loftnets.com/en/nets-guides page there are photos shown with the links to "Home Net Installation Guide" showing attachment with a connector that looks a lot like a zip tie. Thankfully when you click through to the fixation hardware page https://www.loftnets.com/en/102-mezzanine-net-fixations there is no mention of zip ties (perhaps it's used as a temporary means to hold the net in place before permanent attachment) but my kneejerk reaction is to include an exclusion to plastic fixation systems including zip ties is case anyone sees the photos and thinks that zip ties are an acceptable means of connection.

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration