4specs.com    4specs.com Home Page

Panel Closure Strips Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

4specs Discussion Forum » MasterFormat 2004 Discussions » Panel Closure Strips « Previous Next »

Author Message
David G. Axt, CCS, CSI ,SCIP
Senior Member
Username: david_axt

Post Number: 1605
Registered: 03-2002

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 05:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

In what section should I specify this panel closure strip? I am thinking of specifying this product in the metal stud section.

David G. Axt, CCS, CSI, SCIP
Specifications Consultant
Axt Consulting LLC
Lynn Javoroski FCSI CCS LEEDŽ AP SCIP Affiliate
Senior Member
Username: lynn_javoroski

Post Number: 2128
Registered: 07-2002

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 06:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I put them in the accessories article in the Gypsum Board section.
Dave Metzger
Senior Member
Username: davemetzger

Post Number: 701
Registered: 07-2001
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 06:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I usually have put them in the gypsum board section also. But if you want them finished to match the curtain wall or storefront mullions(as the manufacturer states they can be,) I'd consider specifying them as an accessory in those sections.
Steven Bruneel, AIA, CSI-CDT, LEED-AP, EDAC
Senior Member
Username: redseca2

Post Number: 600
Registered: 12-2006

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 06:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I have often wondered why one of the large curtain wall manufacturers didn't include closures in their trim and accessory options, with guaranteed color matching.
George A. Everding, FCSI, CCS, CCCA, AIA
Senior Member
Username: geverding

Post Number: 866
Registered: 11-2004

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 07:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

This company http://www.mullitoverproducts.com/details-specs.html uses SECTION 098453 SOUND BARRIER MULLION TRIM CAP and SECTION 098454 FIRE-RATED SOUND BARRIER MULLION TRIM CAP in their product literature. That's near the 09 80 00 Acoustic Treatment Area of MasterFormat.

Unless you need to write separate section because you have a complicated application, I'd say the gypsum board section is better.
Sheldon Wolfe
Senior Member
Username: sheldon_wolfe

Post Number: 976
Registered: 01-2003

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

With gypboard.
Jeffrey Wilson CSI CCS SCIP
Senior Member
Username: wilsonconsulting

Post Number: 227
Registered: 03-2006

Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 04:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I spec these a lot and created a custom master SECTION 098453 - ACOUSTIC MULLION CLOSURE SYSTEMS that I'd be happy to share: Jeff at WilsonConsultingInc dot com.

Both products mentioned above are addressed (including fire-rated & non-rated versions), in addition to Emseal "QuietJoint" that has similar function but different materials.

The requirements and options are fairly complex, which I thought warranted a separate section. These systems are between (literally) drywall and exterior glazing system work. They could probably be assigned to either trade, but have attributes that are beyond the customary areas of either one.
Jeffrey Wilson CCS CSI SCIP
Wilson Consulting Inc
Ardmore PA

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration