4specs.com    4specs.com Home Page

Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

4specs Discussion Forum » MasterFormat 2004 Discussions » SECTION # FOR REINFORCED CONC UNIT MASONRY « Previous Next »

Author Message
Jerome J. Lazar, RA, CCS, CSI, SCIP
Senior Member
Username: lazarcitec

Post Number: 726
Registered: 05-2003
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 05:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Lynn Javoroski CSI CCS LEEDŽ AP SCIP Affiliate
Senior Member
Username: lynn_javoroski

Post Number: 1086
Registered: 07-2002

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 05:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Guess I never thought about it and just used the standard 04 2200 and included reinforcement. Now you've got me wondering...
Jerome J. Lazar, RA, CCS, CSI, SCIP
Senior Member
Username: lazarcitec

Post Number: 727
Registered: 05-2003
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 05:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Lynn, In South Florida, many structural engineers claim that Concrete Unit Masonry is not structural, only when it is reinforced - this another example of stupid engineer tricks because in most cases all concrete unit masonry used for ext walls is reinforced. But there is no use fighting, so we allow the inclusion of both sections and the GC gets to figure it out in the field. Right now I have advised Engineer to use 042201 for Reinforced Unit Masonry just to play it safe, but I was wondering if anyone has come across this and has used a different section number - this is only my second MF04 project.
Rich Gonser AIA CSI CCCA
Senior Member
Username: gonserarch

Post Number: 27
Registered: 10-2003
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 05:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I just use 04 2000 Unit Masonry from Building System Design SpecLink. It pretty well covers it.
A. Concrete Block.
B. Glazed Concrete Masonry Units
C. Recycled glazed concrete masonry units
D. Concrete Brick.
E. Clay Facing Brick.
F. Common Brick.
G. Hollow Brick.
H. Sand-Lime Face Brick.
I. Ceramic Glazed Face Brick.
J. Clay Tile.
K. Ceramic Glazed Structural Clay Facing Tile.
L. Mortar and Grout.
M. Reinforcement and Anchorage.
N. Flashings.
O. Lintels.
P. Accessories.

FYI, The section number 04 2001 is used for masonry veneer.
Phil Kabza
Senior Member
Username: phil_kabza

Post Number: 450
Registered: 12-2002

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 06:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

All such queries can be answered at any time at www.masterformat.com
Mark Gilligan SE,
Senior Member
Username: mark_gilligan

Post Number: 296
Registered: 10-2007
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 08:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

I have traditionally used 04200 or 04 2000 for Concrete Unit Masonry. In many cases I will specify the reinforcement in 03 2000 or if the job is small I will include the reinforcement in section 04 2000.

Structural engineers often refer to elements that are not part of the primary structural frame as non-structural. This nomenclature is used several places in the code.

In many cases the structural engineer does not want to be involved with these non-structural elements because they are not in his scope of work.

A specification section that attempts to cover CMU, brick, facing brick, and tile will either be skimpy or will become unwieldly. There are a lot of code provisions that need to be reflected in the specifications which means that the section can get long.

In addition when both the architect and the engineer try to take ownership of the same section you will find that they have different focusses which results in a poorly organized section. Sometimes the best thing is to break the specification into several sections to minimize the difficultiess.
Ralph Liebing, RA, CSI, CDT
Senior Member
Username: rliebing

Post Number: 1208
Registered: 02-2003
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 06:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

04 29 00, Engineered Unit Masonry, is listed in the newest MF04 [p. 97], and notes that "Reinforced Unit Masonry" is an acceptable alternative term.
Anne Whitacre, FCSI CCS
Senior Member
Username: awhitacre

Post Number: 988
Registered: 07-2002

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

out here in the seismic wonderland, I didn't even know that there WAS unreinforced unit masonry (brick or block) until I did a project on the east coast. Typically we use the "regular" section. If I have some weird project with both reinforced and unreinforced masonry, the drawings make the distinction, not the specs.

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration