4specs.com    4specs.com Home Page

Bullet Resistant Fiberglass Panels Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

4specs Discussion Forum » MasterFormat 2004 Discussions » Bullet Resistant Fiberglass Panels « Previous Next »

Author Message
Robin E. Snyder
Senior Member
Username: robin

Post Number: 237
Registered: 08-2004
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 05:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

Any suggestions on a number? These get integrated into bullet-resistant walls.
Ronald L. Geren, AIA, CSI, CCS, CCCA, SCIP
Senior Member
Username: specman

Post Number: 730
Registered: 03-2003
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 06:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

In my opinion, these panels are similar to lead lining for radiation protection. Since radiation protection is included in Division 13 (specifically 13 49 00), then I would use one of the unassigned numbers in Division 13.
Ronald L. Geren, AIA, CSI, CCS, CCCA, SCIP
RLGA Technical Services
(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 05:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post


I usually integrate the product into the section it needs to be built into. Examples: Judges Bench - Architectural Woodwork; wall at drug area - gypsum board or plaster. I never write a separate section for it.
David R. Combs, CSI, CCS, CCCA
Senior Member
Username: davidcombs

Post Number: 300
Registered: 08-2004
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 08:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

We address it in one narrow-scope section -

Section 06 82 56 - Ballistics-Resistant Fiberglass

So regardless of which assembly may need the product, all we have to do is cross reference to that Division 06 section.
J. Peter Jordan
Senior Member
Username: jpjordan

Post Number: 309
Registered: 05-2004
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 02:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post

4specs lists this in Division 13 as a special assembly. I tend to go with the recommendationi of the "Unregistered Guest". You can purchase the panels separately to be used on partitions and woodwork and there are relevant details available. For doors and frames where this stuff is use, some manufacturers purchase the product to incorporate into their products, but in the instance of HM door frames, it appears not too difficult to field install the stuff in the frames; still a pain to coordination, but not too difficult.
W. Dean Walker, AIA, CCS, SCIP
Senior Member
Username: wdwalkerspecs

Post Number: 32
Registered: 08-2006
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 04:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post


I'm actually registered - I just didn't look up my User Name etc. when I sent the response.

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration